First and foremost step is to clean the house. Through the puja we are inviting Goddess Lakshmi to our house and she likes everything to be neat and clean. In some communities, even the broom is worshipped on the Lakshmi Puja day. This symbolically represents the need for cleanliness.
Three forms of Shakti – Goddess Lakshmi, Goddess Saraswathi and Goddess Durga –Lord Ganesh and Lord Kubera are worshipped on the day. No puja is performed without paying customary tributes to Lord Ganesha. Lord Kubera, represents wealth, and he is the treasurer of Gods. In homes, usually the locker or safe in which gold and cash is kept symbolically represents the seat of Kubera.
- KalashMango leaves
- Idol or picture of Goddess Lakshmi
- Milk, curd, Honey
- GheePuffed rice
- Usual puja Sweets
- Coriander seedsCumin seeds And
- Other daily puja items
- First decide on a place to perform the puja.
- Spread a clean cloth and create a bed of rice.
- A Kalash (pot) is placed on the bed of rice.
- Fill about 75% of the Kalash with water.
- Put a betel nut, flower, a clean coin, and some rice in the Kalash.
- Now arrange mango leaves around the opening of the Kalash.
- Place a Thaali (a small plain plate) on the Kalash.
- On the Thaali, draw a lotus with turmeric powder and place the idol or small photograph of Goddess Lakshmi.
- Place some coins on the Thaali.
- On the right of Kalash, place the idol of Lord Ganesha.
- If you need, you can also place the idols of Saraswathi and your favorite deities.
- Take some water and sprinkle on all puja items to purify them.
- Do puja with haldi, kumkum and flowers on the Kalash.
- Light a lamp.
- Now take some flower and rice in the hands and close the eyes and meditate on Goddess Lakshmi. You are now invoking Goddess Lakshmi. If you know mantras, recite them. Otherwise just simply meditate on Goddess Lakshmi. Here is a simple Sanskrit mantra dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi.
Namosthesthu Maha Maye,
Shree padee, sura poojithe,
Shanka, Chakra, Gadha hasthe,
Maha Lakshmi Namosthuthe.
- Now sprinkle the flowers and rice on the idol of Goddess Lakshmi.
- Take out the idol of Goddess Lakshmi and place it on a Thaali. Clean the idol with water, then with milk, curd, ghee, honey and sugar. Then clean the idol again with water.
- Place the idol back on the Kalash.
- Now offer garlands made of marigolds or leaves of bel tree, sandalwood paste, kumkum and other daily puja items including lighting incense and agarbhatis.
- Now make offerings of coconut, fruits, sweets, betel nuts and betel leaves.
- Next make offerings of Batasha sweets, puffed rice, coriander and cumin seeds.
- Lastly, perform a silent Arati for Goddess Lakshmi. And meditate on Goddess Lakshmi.
Take some of the ‘prasad’ (that will stay for long period of time) and place it at the place where ornaments and cash is usually kept.
Business people also worship the account books on this day along with Goddess Lakshmi.
This is only a guideline. You can show flexibility in the puja process. Some of the items needed might not be readily available. But you can keep the house and surrounding clean. Finally, if you can’t perform the puja, wherever you are simply mediate on Goddess Lakshmi.