- Dry Red Colour: You can use red sandal wood powder. Powder of dry red hibiscus flowers mixed with any flour will give natural red colour.
- Wet Red Colour: Mix turmeric powder in water and add few drops of lemon juice. within seconds, you will get bright red colour.
- Dry Yellow Colour: Mix two spoons of turmeric powder with four spoons of besan for bright yellow color.
- Wet Yellow Colour: Mix Two spoons of turmeric in four liters of water and stir well.
- Wet Orange or Saffron Colour: Peel around 12 large onions and boil in half liter water. Remove the onion peels. Now you will get an orange color with a light pink shade. Another method is to soak Tesu flowers in water for a night to get yellowish – orange color.
- Dry Green Colour: Make a paste out of different leaves like spinach, coriander, mint etc in water and leave it to dry. Another method is to mix mehndi and any flour.
- Wet Green Colour: Take four spoons of henna and mix in two liter of water.
- Wet Magenta Colour: Grate beetroot and soak in one liter water for magenta colour.
- Wet Brown Colour: Boil tea or coffee in water and cool it.
If you are planning to play large scale Holi, then it is better to buy genuine natural colors from the market. This is because there is a limit to which you can produce natural Holi colours at home. There are more methods of making natural colours but it involves large scale use of flowers which are sadly not available in large quantities.
Where To Buy Natural Holi Colours :
Holi is fast approaching and thanks to the rigorous campaign carried out by NGOs and other environment organizations there is awareness in India among general public regarding natural Holi colors. But many people are notaware from where to buy natural Holi colors. eCoexist a Pune-based social enterprise dealing in natural and recycled products in India, is promoting a range of natural colours under the name Rang Dulaar. Natural Holi colors from eCoexist are available in select stores in Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Bangalore, Baroda, Hyderabad, Secunderabad, Goa, Ahmedabad and Aurangabad.
eCoexist is currently offering Red, Yellow, Green and Black colors. eCoexist says that colours are free from any chemical content and have been made by the women of Vanastree, the Malnad Forest Garden and Seed Keepers Collective in collaboration with the Kalpavriksh Environment Action Group.
To order the colours or for further inquiries write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9850084383
Stores from where you can buy Holi natural colors promoted by eCoexist for Holi 2008. Information as found on eCoexist.
Bombay Store, Fort, 40669999
Spencers Hypermart (all outlets)
Dhoop Crafts, Khar, 65819352 / 51
Green Ways, Carmichael Road, 23520684
The Culture Shop, Hiranandani Gardens, 66939777
Radhika Arora, Juhu, 26121165
Dorabjees, Camp 26052882
Bombay Store, M G Road, 26131891
Spencers Hyper Mart ( all outlets)
Either Or, Sohrab Hall, 26050225
Sade, Koregaon Park, 30922900
Nilaya Bandhej, Senapati Bapat Road, 25660790
24 Lettered Mantra, Baner, 64002456
Poona Club Store, Poona Club, 26331785
Namdharis (all outlets)
For further queries call Sunita 9480299200
Good Earth: 9 ABC, Khan Market, New Delhi, Ph: 24647475 (Lodi Colony)
Kriti: S-35 Tara Apartments, Alaknanda, New Delhi 110019Ph: 26027845/ 26213088, (Greater Kailash)
Toxics Link: H2 (Ground Floor), Jungpura Extension,New Delhi 110 014, Ph: 24328006, 24320711 (Jungpura)
Central Delhi: Connaught Place
People Tree: 8, Regal Building, Parliament Street, New Delhi-110001, Ph: 23744877
East Delhi: Mayur Vihar
Kalpavriksh: 134, Tower 10, Supreme Enclave, mayor Vihar Phase-I, Delhi- 110091, Ph: 22753714
Gifts of Love: 224, DT City Centre Mall, M. G. Road, DLF City Phase – II, Ph: 0124-4014721
Northwest Delhi: Karol Bagh
Meenakshi Kapoor, Kapoor Niwas, 9774-A, Behind 1C-9, New Rohtak Road, New Delhi-110005, Ph: 28713184
Suneet Dabke, 09824091307
- Secunderabad / Hyderabad
Sandeep Rhode 09348552218
Center for Environment Education
For queries call Roopa 9766358343
Quadrangle Contact: Shyam Chhawchharia Quadrangle, Samyak Plaza, Cidco Cannought,
- Aurangabad - 431003 Ph: 0240-2482030 Cell: 9890449132